Advertisement for a Paid Research Study Titled:
"The efficacy of branched chain amino acid supplementation on cycling performance, body composition, and immune system markers in trained male cyclists over a training season"
Researchers in The School of Kinesiology at Auburn University are performing a cycling study. Specifically, researchers are evaluating if chronic oral supplementation with branched chain amino acids (or BCAAs) affects body composition, blood variables related to immune system function, and cycling performance variables in male cyclists that train 3-7 days/week of road cycling totaling a weekly mileage of >100 miles.
You may qualify if you:
1) are a male cyclist that trains 3-7 days/week of road cycling totaling a weekly mileage of >100 miles.
2) are between the ages of 19-50.
3) are currently not consuming supplemental protein, creatine, and/or BCAAs, or have not within the past month.
4) do not have any precluding medical issues (i.e., cardiovascular issues, breathing or muscle/joint issues, heat-sensitivity issues) that are aggravated by performing a maximal bicycling test indoors.
If you decide to participate in this research study, you will be asked to:
1) Complete a consent and familiarization session at the Auburn School of Kinesiology, located at 301 Wire Road, Auburn AL (room 136), lasting 60 min where you will perform a cycling peak power test.
2) A pre-study testing session at the Auburn School of Kinesiology lasting 1.5 hours for cycling performance testing, body composition assessment, and blood draw.
3) 3-month supplementation and self-training period in which we request that you continue your bicycling habits and that you supplement twice daily with BCAAs or a maltodextrin placebo capsules.
4) A post-study testing session at the Auburn School of Kinesiology lasting 1.5 hours for cycling performance testing, body composition assessment, and blood draw.
The total approximate time commitment in the Kinesiology building will be approximately 4-5 hours.
Beyond receiving free performance and body composition testing, you will be monetarily compensated in the form of a $150 pre-paid VISA gift card for your time commitment upon completion of the study (no pro-rated compensation will be provided for non-completion).
If you are interested in participating in this study, please e-mail your name and contact information to Mike Roberts, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org