The Ride of Love is coming up on April 27th! All funds raised directly support Smile-A-Mile. The ride begins at Smile-A-Mile Place in downtown Birmingham and finishes at Lake Martin!
The Ride of Love is unique in many ways:
1. Cyclists stay together as a group the whole ride. No one is left behind ever. The leader keeps the pace. The cyclists start together, ride together and finish together. There's experienced sag available if cyclists need to have a few minutes off their bikes further along into the ride. Since the group rides together for the entire ride, it’s absolutely necessary for cyclists to have endurance training riding in groups for long periods of time.
2. There are two route options - 150 miles and 75 miles. The 75 mile option starts at the lunch stop at Grist Mill.
3. Cline Tours provides a charter bus that takes cyclists and their bikes back to the 75 mile start at Grist Mill and 150 mile start at Smile-A-Mile Place. Round trip transportation!
4. The ride is fully supported with sheriff escort, mechanic, ambulance, sag, food/hydration
5. We ask each cyclist raise at least $250. Many cyclists are able to do that in no time and greatly exceed this amount. We provide a convenient online fundraising platform. Many cyclists also choose to pay this amount on their own in lieu of fundraising. Registration fee is $50.
6. Cyclists ride into camp as a group. There's a ceremony, cyclists are able to get showers and then have dinner with the children and their families. We also welcome cyclists' families to be at camp to see them finish the ride and have dinner with them.
7. Each first year cyclist receives a jersey as part of the registration fee. Veteran ROL participants are welcome to purchase another jersey. Everyone sports a Ride of Love jersey!
Please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions or ideas!